Sunday, January 8, 2012

SILLY prayers!

On the last day of the boys Christmas break, they had some of their best friends over to play, David and Ryan Jones.  They had a great time and everything went smoothly until we went to take them home.  David went to put on his shoes and they were no where to be found.  Of course with 5 boys running around in and out of the house, on and off of the trampoline, misplaced shoes is a given.  I assured him they would turn up and put him in some of McKay's and took him home.  But, when several days went by and I had searched all over the house inside and out, even I began to worry.  I called Summer and told her they still had not turned up, but Summer who is always laid back and composed, didn't seem worried.  However, it was starting to consume me.  They had been lost in my house under my watch, actually Wess', and I felt responsible.  He had gotten them just a couple of months earlier for his birthday, and they were not cheap!  Then, a glorious thing happened.  My amazing friend/neighbor TJ came over to visit while we let our kids play.  I was sharing with her the vanishing shoes story, and telling her how I had looked everywhere and how upset I was about the whole situation.  She looked right at me and said "well, have you prayed about it?".  It was more than convicting when I had to tell her no.  In my head I was thinking "that's not really on the top of my prayer list".  But, I quickly realized it should have been on the top of my prayer list.  It had consumed me all week, and I should have modeled to my boys praying without ceasing and nothing is too small for God.  But, sadly I had only shown them worry.  So, we stopped right in the middle of my kitchen and McKay prayed for David's shoes.  Even sweet Essie prayed for the lost shoes.  It was so sweet and I thought if nothing else it gave us all a chance to pray together.  I was very moved and was so grateful for my dear friend TJ who had pointed me to God.  She is a wealth of spiritual and mommy insight, and I feel so blessed to have her in my life.  Within 20 minutes McKay came running in shouting "I found the shoes, I found the shoes!!".  TJ and I looked at each other and broke into tears and laughter.  We were both thinking "NO WAY GOD, SERIOUSLY?!?!?".  It was truly amazing and such a great experience for our kids to see the power of prayer no matter how small.  What probably no one knows until now, is I believe God used the situation to teach ME!  I have no problem praying over big things, but the idea of praying for David's shoes just seemed silly.  Thankfully, God proved me wrong.

"Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." Jeremiah 29:12
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

 

3 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about David's shoes all weekend - I'm so glad you captured the story in words! I had the same thought - that faith lesson was for me as much or more than for my kids. Love your blog, love your "about me" paragraph, and LOVE being your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the whole story! Congrats on the blog! I will follow you!

    And by the way, I had two cabbage patch boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. No silly prayers... I bet the kids were so excited!

    ReplyDelete